Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sitting Halo

       


       Last week I got an email from my brother, along with his daughter's blog about  missionary work she is doing with children in Mexico.  Beka's blog updated her family and followers about how she hangs out, shares her heart, and is a witness to the children she is there to serve.  I can't remember now if she left out a word or if I left out a word, but here's what I read from what she wrote: "Sometimes I just sit.......halo."  Within minutes, and after checking lots of other emails, I wrote back to my brother and asked, "What does she mean to "Sit Halo"? (See, I had already unconsciously taken her words for my own meaning.)  I began to picture my precious niece just being a present and caring presence in the lives of children in a very impoverished country. Perhaps without using words, without pushing her beliefs on them---I could see Beka "sitting halo" for the children she  is there to reach.
        Well, come to find out (is that an old person's expression?), Halo is a video game and sitting and playing halo literally meant sitting and playing that video game.   Shucks! Darn. Even damn.  My whole image and the meaning I had assigned "Sitting Halo"  was crumpled up--null and void.  I had about thirty seconds of disappointment that I had so misread her words, but something stuck with me---those words, "Sitting Halo" kept clamoring around in my head.  There was meaning there for me. I was touched by that expression and I  let it just sit inside of me for several days. 
Sitting Halo. 
Holding a person you love--or loved---or need to love---or can't love (you get the picture---insert your favorite name now)--holding a person in a sacred space---in a holy light---surrounded by grace and compassion--and of course--by light.  Light that might give them a bit of hope or a new perspective or a glint/glimmer that they are going to find their paths.  Sitting Halo---my new best phrase--- means even sitting right next to somebody you want so desperately to "fix" and make better and steer down a different road----but maybe your words are all used up and broken-record-sounding---maybe your words would fall on deaf ears or a hardened heart.  And, anyway, maybe your words are not what they need. You know exactly what I'm talking about; you've been there.  You might be there right now.  So, don't say anything.  Just Sit Halo for that person.  Just pray--- if that's the word that makes sense for you life.  Or meditate---- Send them love.  Ask for them to be sheltered and nourished and to be "healed"-----and yes, I know that can mean a zillion different things.  But you get it, don't you? 
      Sit Halo.
 Today I could not do anything to make Taylor feel better.  I had done all there was to do.  I was frustrated and close to tears.  So, I just stood close, was silent, and "Sat Halo."   For me, that meant I prayed for him to be out of pain.  It felt like such a relief to have a place to "go" with my thoughts and for the love I hold for him. I didn't need to tell him what I was doing or why I was doing it.  It is simply (and beautifully) a prayer for watching over---for whatever that person needs to live his /her life's purpose full out.
   For the woman who cuts in front of you in line at Wendy's:  Sit Halo.  For the  friend we have who is  lost and not knowing where to turn in life:  Sit Halo.
For the sister/son/friend  who has not  made contact with you in months:  Sit Halo.  Hold them in that sacred and holy place in your heart.  Say their names---pour  love on top of their names.  See them in your mind's eye completely surrounded by grace and luminous light.  Ask that they will know hope.
Sit Halo. 
I am honored and so touched  to know that there are those of you "out there" Sitting Halo for me. 
Don't say a word.  Hold that intention----for love---for them.
Sit Halo. 


    

Taylor and Hawkeye

6 comments:

  1. I love this post! I read it word for word to Glenn and I'm going to tell people about it. What a great concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too--love sitting halo for or with someone that needs it. I am sitting halo for Tanisha. When I tell people that they always make jokes about it or about her (she is the gal on Too Fat for Fifteen). But I am serious--though she does not know me and I don't "get anything out of it" in the eyes of others--I feel that sitting halo for her is my contribution to her struggle, and of course I believe God listens to prayer. So I pray for this young hurting person whom I will never meet, and it feels right to me. Go ahead and laugh-but maybe someone I don't know is sitting halo for me. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting halo for Sharon Cannon today as she has surgery on her spinal chord. There is a tumor that the neurosurgeons will be removing. It makes me think of Taylor's surgery and recovery. I love this new concept!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to have a name for what I often find myself doing - sitting halo! How I love your blog and your wonderful way of looking at things many of us would miss. I check every day to see if there is anything new in the world of Taylor and his mom. Never met you, but I think I might just sit halo for you a while tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! You have added a beautiful phrase to my vocabulary -- and I will enjoy "Sitting Halo" for my loved ones. Precious thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am signing off now. I know I'm three MONTHS late in reading this, but I am going to sit-halo for you right now, my treasured Friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I know it's scary to put yourself out there. I really appreciate your being on this journey with me. You really are brave..